Friday, June 8, 2012

It's been a pretty good week. First took my 6 year old grandaughter fishing at Ceasars Creek. That's her first fish you see in the picture. It's name was Julie if I remember right. With Kally every fish goes in a five gallon bucket for a visit where she investigates it a momment or two and gives it a name before we turn it loose. A nine inch bluegill named Big Daddy was the best fish of the day. Definately one of the best trips of the year. S5030001 Then next came the first of two trips to the Great Miami. Never really got into the smallies, I think they are still in a little bit of a post spawn funk but I did catch one that was a very lucky fish to be alive. The 11 inch smallie had a scaled line on each side where a big flathead had tried to have him for dinner but he escaped. A caught several channelcats on nightcrawlers along with a half dozen small drum total for the two trips plus two sauger on a jig. S5030136 S5030140 S5030137 Today with the temps hitting the mid 80's it seemed like a good time to break out the belly boat for the first time this year. I took it to one of the state wildlife areas to hit a few ponds. The first I found seemed too shallow and I didn't fish the weed choked pond long before moving. Long enough though to pick up three leeches on my legs though! Then a much deeper large pond way off the road. Right away small bass hit my plastic worm every few minutes. Just about the time I thought that's all that was in there I set the hook and a big bass rocketed skyward. If you have never hooked a nice bass in a belly boat it's pretty exciting, they can tow you a bit and spin the tube around if they run past you, but I managed not to lose her. I ended up with about twenty small bass besides the one good one, all on a plastic worm. The odd thing was the fish hit best right in the heat of the day, the fish really turned off towards evening, right when you'd think it would be good. Just goes to show you can never tell whats going to happen when you go fishing... S5030145 S5030142

No comments:

Post a Comment