Sunday, September 3, 2017

9/3 big girl

This will probably be a fish I'll remember every time I fish this stretch of river as the years pass. She thumped a smoke metalflake grub on the end of a long cast then went airborne. Flipped end over end in a somersault before crashing back into the water. I set the hook again. I try whenever I can summon enough sense after hooking a big fish to set the hook another time or two. Everyone who smallmouth fishes knows how frequently a fish will jump and your lure goes one way and the fish the other. I try and remain philosophical and remind myself it's just part of what makes smallmouth special but I'd just as soon have that happen as infrequently as possible. So if I can I'll set the hook multiple times. And I'm glad I did for she jumped again. And then she started a series of multiple jumps.  Then wallowed on top for a while before jumping again.Like I said it was a fish I'll remember for a long time. A quick photo and I slipped her into a pocket of quiet water. She sat for a second kinda figuring out which way to go then swam thru a little ditch back into the river....

No comments:

Post a Comment