Monday, October 7, 2019

This weekend I spent camped out on our land in Scioto County doing a little bit of deer hunting and fishing. My old friend Mr. Bear is still hanging around, I found some hair he had rubbed off scratching his back on a tree and I'm pretty sure I heard him prowling around camp one night. At least something rather big was circling camp in the dry leaves and I cant imagine a deer being that interested in camp. Probably the smell of a grilled cheese sandwich cooked on the fire lured him in.  The highlight of the camping tho had to be a big pale green fireball that slid across the night sky. My land sits down in a little valley and no lights are visible at night in this deeply rural setting and the meteor literally lit up the sky. It was easily one of the best I've seen on the hundreds of nights I've spent out in places like this. Probably ranking just behind a spectacular meteor show years ago when I counted meteors by the hundreds and a magical night sky in the boundary waters aglow with the northern lights.
Then Sunday saw me chased out of the tree right after daylight by a strong thunderstorm so I spent the entire day fishing. First on a beautiful tiny creek full of spotted bass that came readily to small topwater plugs and then on a larger stream where smallmouth bass hammered a chartreuse metalflake grub. Stream fishing doesn't get much finer than October though I have a feeling this just might be the last trip of wading wet this year. If you can get on your favorite stream right now, its the best fishing of the year in many ways.










No comments:

Post a Comment