Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Voice of America Park

SOC_4441

SOC_4442

This weekend in a quest to find more places not blown out by THE RAIN THAT JUST WONT STOP I tried the Voice of America Park in West Chester. This Warren County Park has a huge fishy looking lake with almost a mile and a half of shoreline. Right away a nice bass struck my spinnerbait as dark storm clouds gathered.

SOC_4443

As I was unhooking the fish, big serious splats of rain began smacking the surface of the lake. Me and a kid that was catfishing took refuge in the gazebo that hangs out over the lake below the visitor center.

SOC_4454

Soon high wind and blowing rain had us soaked.

SOC_4456


After the storm passed, already soaked to the skin, I decided to go ahead and fish in the light rain that now fell. And thank goodness I did as bass after bass hammered the spinnerbait as I brought it along the face of each cattail bed.

SOC_4446

Turned on by the rain the fish bit all evening and even a channel cat hit my spinnerbait. Ive had catfish hit a lure numerous times before but this was a first as I was buzzing the spinnebait along just under the surface and he came up and hammered it like a bass.

SOC_4459

Conditions like this are perfect for one of my favorite fishing techniques, buzzing a spinnerbait. Swim the bait just below the surface so that it produces a bulge and wake without breaking the surface. Every now and then stop the bait for a split second, this pause often triggers a strike and was key at VOA. I'd say at least half the fish hit as I varied the speed or stopped the bait especially when I stopped the bait right as it passed some bit of cover or break in the cattails.


I'm not sure if the fishing really is that great at VOA or if the rain and weather combined just right to produce one of those magic days. A bit of both I'm guessing, that it's a pretty good place to bass fish and I happened to be there at just the right time but I'm not complaining after the awful spring we've had so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment