Friday, July 6, 2012

Nighttime on the LMR

With yet another 100 degree day it seemed like night time would be the best time so once again I didn't even start fishing till after midnight. The fish cooperated and I caught four shovelhead in the 4 to 7 pound range on a lipless crankbait. All right on the bank on the upstream side of a big rock bar adjacent to a big hole. Then I hooked this guy... buffalo The big buffalo was hooked right outside the mouth so even though I probably snared the fish I'm not completely sure. Buffalo feed primarily on insect larvae and other aquatic invertebrates and some algae though I have caught them on small jigs before. I do know that like all buffalo it fought like a mule before I finally managed to land it.I then caught an axe handle gar on a sinking minnow plug. The treble hooked the fish right in the seam between the two sections of the lower jaw and took forever to unhook. I've found with this type of fishing that a pair of pliers really is a big help, especially unhooking a shovelhead that has inhaled the lure. A bit later another fish thumped the crankbait and it turned out to be a little better shovelhead S5030210

No comments:

Post a Comment