Monday, February 3, 2014

So big it broke my rod...

Saturday was the big fly fishing show and then Sunday I had to meet Dave and Greg for some fishing. Well I'd been rushing around getting ready for the show and hadn't really put any thought into getting ready to fish. But we weren't fishing till 11, plenty of time. My wife said after I'd passed her perch on the couch about a dozen times, "a bit disorganized this morning?". I'd rigged up a cool (I thought) little ice fishing rod out of an old cork handle from one old rod and the broken tip of another. But the tip section wouldn't quite fit into the handle. I had to sand it down just a smidge. Better remember to check that before I go. Well I couldn't find the spud bar. How do you lose something like that? Really? Only took an hour to find it and now I'm running close on time so off I go. I roll into our meeting place at exactly the right time and we head out to the pond. A good six inches of ice. But between Greg's auger and my newly found spud bar we soon had several holes open and were lowering waxworms in. I get a bite and whack I set the hook. Without ever checking the new joint on the little ice rod I'd made. I snapped it off right at the joint and had to hand over hand in a pretty gill. Im holding it admiring the colors and Dave says with perfectly deadpan delivery "so big he broke your rod wasn't he". Luckily Greg had a bucket full of gear that was bristling with little ice rods sticking out like antennae at the old Voice of America station. As badly prepared as I was Greg was well prepared and soon I was back fishing. He even had little zip lock bags full of deer jerky and deer baloney to snack on. He needs to start an ice fishing guide business. I wouldn't say the fishing was fast and furious but it was steady and a couple times we all three had fish on at once. Okay this ice fishing thing is pretty cool. If its going to be miserable and cold I can do this for a couple weeks... after I perfect this cool little ice fishing rod idea I have...

No comments:

Post a Comment