Monday, June 2, 2014

18+ inches of karma on the fly

Went after work to mow the grass of a sick relative. Pulled the lawn mower out and was just getting ready to start it when the sky opened up and it downpoured. Ok. Ill be back first evening it's dry...

Stopped on the way home at this little spot on the river. No rain here yet. It's a tiny little spot that only ever gives up a fish or two. I had a six weight fly rod and a box of flies behind the seat of the truck. Like I said it's a tiny spot. Just a 15 foot roll cast covers it well enough. It's an underwater pile of rock that has some swift current flowing over it. One of those places you discover over time by accident more than anything. I tied on a weighted streamer. Kind of a zonker type fly. Roll cast then let it tumble. Again. Again. Okay this isn't going so swell. But I kept at it. Ten minutes later whap and a 15-16 inch smallie hurtles skyward throwing the fly. Ten minutes later I catch it's twin. Or maybe the same fish I dunno. I fish on till I've lost faith. I move a bit to try a different angle. Weight, then whoosh the fish jumps, them jumps again. I finally land it. Oh no the camera is in the pack! But I did buy a little keychain ruler last winter and put them on my truck key ring so I get a measurement. Then try to get a phone picture. The phone turns off!!. Uggh. I hold the fish underwater till I get the phone back on. Snap a very bad photo and turn it loose. Pretty happy for a wet grass fish I head home.

1 comment:

  1. what fly were you using? can you show a picture in the future with size hook? What technique do you use?

    ReplyDelete