Monday, September 22, 2014

celebrating the equinox

Hit the river for a few hours today. Theres this little chunk of concrete that I'm not sure what it used to be. Some little wing or coffer dam or just chunk of concrete dumped in the river, I'm not sure. But it makes a cool line of current slicing diagonally across the river. Any kind of current going sideways in a river makes my eyes light up. I threw a yellow chartreusey looking swimbait in the current and let it slide on a tight line. Nothing. Hmm. I switched to a heavier jig head with the same bait. Thump. ZZzzing went the drag. But it stayed deep never coming up so I'm thinking it's a big channelcat. After a few more runs it rolled up in front of me. Oh wow a smallie! It sure had me fooled didn't go airborne at all. But it fought like a champ and turned out to be a dandy, right at 19 inches. Ten minutes later another strike but this fish was classic smallmouth leaping skyward several times. Another swell fish at a tad past 18".



After a bit I worked my way downstream. Here the river twists around a sort of island and cuts a deep narrow slot with super fast water rushing thru it. I threw the swimbait and brought it down the run. ZZzzzing....and then wrapped around something hung up. D%#$ it, that was a nice fish. I threw back and ZZzzzing...went the drag again. Again hanging deep not going airborne. Another big smallie??? Nope this time it was a hybrid. In the next hour two more would wallop the swimbait in this fast slot of water. Not long fish, but as I'd describe them later in a text, looking like giant bluegills they were so round. What a great way to celebrate the fall equinox.



No comments:

Post a Comment