Thursday, October 23, 2014

Icing on 2014's cake

(this is from 10\10\14, playing catchup on fishing reports)So I headed out right at daylight with high hopes. Dark weather, right time of year, right water temps. So I headed to what I feel is probably my best spot. It takes some getting to but is usually worth it. Five minutes in and a fish clobbers my grub right at my feet. A huge fish. Probably the best fish of the year. It jumps seemingly right under the rod tip and seemingly waist high then greyhounds off across the top of the water and is off. I sit on a rock and let the experience sink in, it happened so fast. That might have been the chance for a hawg this fall. You only get one or two chances. I mentally cuss. A lot. I go back to fishing. It's slow maybe a fish every half hour to forty five minutes. I leave six hours later having caught two largemouth, three smallies and two small hybrids. Wet cold and feeling a bit defeated after the loss of the fish I move locations. forty minutes later I get there. A pretty seam of fast rushing water. Sigh. Let's try this again. First cast. Wham! a pretty 16" inch smallie. Then the next cast, Thump and a big gorgeous fish rockets skyward. Please please please don't let this one come off. But no it's uneventful and I lip the fish. Shaking a bit I measure her. 20 inches even. Suddenly it's not so cold and miserable.  God I love fall fishing

No comments:

Post a Comment