Sunday, May 24, 2015

5/24

It had been years since I'd gone fishing. 5 or 6 days at least. So I was really anxious to get out today. Luckily the weather was wonderful, the water perfect, birds chirping. all was right in the world... and then there it was... Moby Carp. Anybody that knows me well knows I visit a section of river that has a few white carp in it. And that I'm crazy about trying to catch one. After all my greatest claim to fame is still what I call the state record goldfish. So there it was, tailing around in the shallows and this thing was huge, I'd guess at least 20 lbs and white as snow. A worthy successor to goldzilla. I had on a small metalflake grub and cast it as close as I could in front of the fish without spooking it and left it there. It moved forward the line twitched and the fight was on! Needless to say I lost it.

Every time...one of these days.
 

 

But... the rest of river was in fine spirits and I was soon catching other white fish, No big ones but any stripey fish is a blast no matter how big. I guess I caught ten. All on either a three inch clear with silver metalflake grub or a curly shad in the same color. I also caught a pretty channelcat that was right in with the stripes feeding.
 
 

Next to the swifter water where I was catching the stripes was a small eddy and in there I'd see small minnows skip every now and then. A cast with the silver grub produced a dandy river crappie probably ten or eleven inches long,
 
 
 
And then a few minutes later a bigger one that I did measure that stretched the tape to 13.5, A fine river fish. It was a swell day even with the loss on Moby.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Fishing is indeed a satisfying activity. My grandfather & I usually go fishing together. We ended laughing.

    ReplyDelete