Sunday, June 28, 2015

Going green:

Blown out rivers, some pretty serious family health issues and then some personal illness of my own all have combined to pretty much keep me off the water lately. But over my own illness and with the day free, I decided to fish somewhere. Anywhere. I ended up at one of SW Ohio's wildlife areas hitting a couple ponds. The first pond was gin clear but ringed with moss as well as having aquatic vegetation growing up to within a foot or so of the surface over most of it. A perfect situation for a buzzbait. I ended up catching four decent bass on the buzz. A fun and cool way to catch fish in my book. The next pond was nothing like the first. No moss or weeds instead it was slightly muddy with a few huge grass carp cruising around like submarines. About two casts in and a deer started blowing at me from the thicket below the ponds dam. An hour later I was wishing I'd stayed at the first pond. No action at all. I began to throw everything including the proverbial kitchen sink at them to no avail. I took the casting rod back to the truck and broke out the spinning rod and an unweighted plastic worm thinking I'd finesse a fish into hitting. No go. About then a small snake began swimming across the pond like we have all seen a hundred times. I thought how much the ribbon tailed worm I had on resembled a small snake and the next cast began swimming it slowly across the top. A decent bass slurped it down! A coincidence for sure but it was the first strike in well over an hour. Two casts later a swirl and another nice bass nailed the swimming worm. I'd like to say I went on and killed them. Not so but I did catch two more and miss a strike. As well as watch a five or six inch bass grab the six inch worm by the tail and refuse to let go playing tug of war with me. beautiful weather, some fish were caught and maybe I learned something, a pretty cool day in my book.




No comments:

Post a Comment