Friday, October 28, 2016

a wild day...

Hit the Ohio River with my friend and stripey fish guru Rob. You would think I had a decent day catching a few nice saugfish and a couple small hybrids and a couple buffalo. As long as you didn't know what Rob did...
What Rob did was fish a swimbait under a launcher further out than I could see and catch big hybrids like I've never seen before. And three were in the 8 to 9 pound range! In raging current at the end of very very long long casts. I've only been really badly whipped twice in the the last few years and both times it was by Rob and with stripey fish. I'm going to have to spend some time doing some serious homework on these fish. It's starting to get personal with me and fish with stripes. I did hook something huge on a swimbait. It didn't act like a snared paddlefish or even a giant pure striper but instead just bent the rod all the way into the cork and just slowly moved wherever it wanted to for twenty minutes before pulling off. I'm guessing a really really big blue or shovel.
Afterward I hit the GMR for a bit and caught a few smallmouth and a 35 inch shovelhead. The shovel I landed in just a couple minutes on the same tackle that the beast pulled me around for twenty plus minutes with.  Sigh...makes you wonder





No comments:

Post a Comment