Friday, May 12, 2017

Sturgeon!

So right before I headed out fishing this evening I poured the goo out of a can of sardines into a zip lock baggie and then dumped in a bunch of pearl glitter curly shads. No idea if that made a difference or not but I caught a sturgeon! The fish was hooked right on the outside of it's weird underslung mouth that looks like that of a stingray. A bit of googling after I got home showed that sturgeon are occasionally caught on lures once in a blue moon and that preferred baits are stinky oily minnows and fish so maybe the sardines did help. I was throwing the curly shad into a big eddy and letting it settle all the way to the bottom before reeling it slowly in. Which was just the ticket for a bunch of hybrid stripes. Nothing big but there was a whole bunch of them. A pretty cool nights fishing on the river.


1 comment:

  1. Was this on the LMR!? or the Ohio? You don't have to tell me where, just which river!

    ReplyDelete