Sunday, April 14, 2019

The purpose driven rod...

So I told my friend rod builder extraordinaire Jeff Byrd who makes Little Miami Rods I need a special rod. A rod I can cast a really long way below the huge dams on rivers like the Clinch or the Tennessee and land a big striper in the heavy current. But that was the easy part I need a rod I can cast a 1 or 2 ounce jig or big popper all day with and still be able to move my shoulder the next day. There are lots of big long rods that can land big fish. Lots of surf rods can do that. They also weigh an absolute ton and if you've fished below the big dams you know it's often just plain hard work. Well, I picked up my new rod and must say Jeff has created a rod that seems as close to the perfect rod for the job I've ever seen. The first guide above the reel is set out from the blank so the line will flow off a big striper reel smoothly to give distance. Solid saltwater hardware that will hold up to the strain of a big fish. An 8 foot blank with power. But, when you pick it up that's when you fall in love. Compared to other rods of this length and power the thing weighs nothing. I think even an old buzzard like me can cast the thing all day. I'm pretty excited to try and will get the chance in a few days when we head south. Now just to count the hours till time to go...






1 comment:

  1. Steven great blog...what part of the LMR are you typically fishing?....I'm a cyclist down on the path quite a bit and always see some great remote spots to fish particularly near Oregonia and under the I-71 Jeremiah Morrow bridge. Need to rig a fishing rod holder on my bike so I can access some of these places.
    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete