Sunday, October 20, 2019

Rivercraft verses Bushcraft

So I'm a guy that fishes constantly. And I love to camp on the river bushcraft style. But there are differences between the two. On the river I have my yak to haul things with so I an carry a bit more than if I were carrying it all on my back. Not a bunch more because the yak can only carry so much. But I can sometimes add a luxury item like the take apart steel griddle made by Dave Bradley. And I can bring two big sheath knives. Why? Well one is a traditional carbon steel bushcraft knife with a ferro rod also in it's sheath for camp. The other a stainless steel knife in a nylon sheath which I wear on my belt. I think it's important if you wade by yourself to carry a good knife with you at all times for safeties sake. One of the biggest dangers when wading deep is getting hung up on something, who knows an old trot line or limb etc. Like a dive knife for scuba diving you are probably never going to need it but if you do it might save your life. I use a thirty dollar Gerber Freeman as my fishing knife ninety percent of the time. With rubber non slip handles as well as a stainless blade and nylon sheath. I've waded with it completely submerged hundreds of times and it looks brand new. It's perfect for the job. I also carry the Buck 110 folder sometimes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment