Sunday, July 19, 2020

potty time



Being outside alone as much as I am I've had some crazy stuff happen. I'll have to sit down by the campfire some time and make a list of some of the stranger ones. The reason I bring this up is I just had one happen that's way up one the list. I've found some decently large smallmouth holding on some chunks of concrete in some super fast current. Classic hot weather stuff. It's also at the base of a small hill that has a homeless camp on it. The place is littered with empty mad dog bottles, trash and the occasional needle. Let's just say it's not the upper Little Miami River much less the Boundary Waters or Algonquin park. Anyways I'm fishing, pitching a swimbait along this twenty foot long piece of concrete wall, letting it sweep along the length of it on a tight line, reeling in and chucking it back up, repeating the process. The wall is lying midstream in very heavy current and I'm tinkering with different jighead weights trying to cover the whole thing. So out of the bushes on the other bank comes this lady. We are in plain view of each other. She glances my way, back up the bank, up and down stream, drops her sweat pants and squats. What the... Just about then, tink, tink, a strike, and I'm into a fish. I fight and land the fish, putting on a show I guess for the lady while she does her business. I land the fish, snap a few pictures and as I'm releasing the fish I notice her wandering back up the hill. Anyways the moral of the story is I guess that in the heat of summer finding enough current and finding fish holding structure in that current is more important than any other consideration if you ask me. I know here in my part of Ohio there's a ton of places from Dayton to Cincinnati, Hamilton, Middletown, Columbus, Portsmouth and on and on that you might catch a smallie at that doesn't exactly look like a magazine cover.



No comments:

Post a Comment