Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The smallmouth and the pullet surprise......


So I'm hauling butt, running late with only around an hour till dark. finally the trail breaks out onto the river bank with a lovely view downstream. I catch movement on the bank opposite. Ok so this a pretty heavily wooded section on the LMR down in a bit of a gorge. A deer I expect, a bear or bigfoot not out of the question. But Not this, Not here. For calmly picking its way down the rocky shore, a long long way from anywhere was... a chicken! I've seen otters, eagles, minks, beavers but this was a first. Unfortunately chickens, I've found, are impossible to see in a photo when photographed at a hundred yards across a river.
The water level wasn't bad but the color is still pretty bad. On a small rock bar filling up an inside bend I picked up an 8" drum on a swimbait. Oh well at least I wasn't skunked. I fished for a while with no more action. Closer to dark I tied on a clone dancer. This is a beautifully finished vibrating crankbait I'm liking a lot. It was given to me to try by my friend Scotty at Queen City Outdoors. I cast it out and reeled it back rather quickly trying to create as much vibration as possible. In a big eddy above a riffle a pretty smallmouth hammered it. After a bit of a battle I snapped a few pictures. Then it flopped right out of my hand just before I could measure it. Not wanting to stress it any further I just realeased it as quickly as I could. I'm guessing somewhere around 17 inches. On the way out a pretty doe let me walk right by her as I hurried down the bike path towards the truck. It sure is nice to be back on the river again...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment