Friday, January 30, 2015

Even more smallmouth locations



Here we have the site of an old dam that has been washed out. There are literally hundreds of these on Midwestern rivers and streams. Many powered old mills or factories around the turn of the century. Spots marked A are smaller pieces of rubble in the fast water that are only big enough to hold a single fish. In the swift water pouring thru the breach in the dam these spots can be hard to find. But potentially they hold some great fish and are worth search for. A swimbait or grub on a heavy jighead to get it down works great here. Often cast cross current and slightly upstream and letting the lure sweep down on a tight line is best. Spots marked B are bigger pieces of rubble fronm the old dam and can hold multiple fish. If they are undercut or naturally contain holes or pockets they can hold some big shovelhead as well. One thing to remember is that sometimes this is another spot where casting close to or even hitting the object with your lure can pay big dividends. Sauger sometimes also hold on this kind of place just not as closely as the smallmouth. Most old dams are undercut as at spot C if there is current flowing against the undercut it can hold nice smallies. These undercuts are also great places for a big shovelhead as well. Spot D is the bar formed by the downstream lip of the old dam when it was whole. This fishes like any other riffle but has the added benefit of being close to the deep water around the old dam. Expect some nice fish to be on this riffle at low light.




1 comment:

  1. Steven, I really appreciate your posts about river fishing tactics (especially in the dead of winter). I started fishing the LM this past year after moving to Loveland and meeting you at the Fishing Expo at the Oasis last year. I have fished the LM from Kings Mills to Terrace Park. I have to admit that I have had limited success with my target fish, the Smallmouth. While I have caught White Bass, a Shovelhead and even snagged a sucker, I have caught only a few smallies. I fish the types of locations that you suggest in your book (very helpful), but I struggle with "lure management". By this I mean keeping the swim bait or jig from getting stuck in the rocks. Any suggestions for minimizing this. I can't tell you how many times I have had to go into the river to free lures or how many lures I have lost due to snags. Thanks for some suggestions and keep writing through the Winter.

    ReplyDelete