Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Down to the Wire

Again on a stream somewhere in Southern Ohio....

I got on the water by four thirty, what's that like five hours till dark? Plenty of time to catch a good one. I was at one of my better big fish spots. You know the kind you don't even tell your Mom about but you still worry a little anyways. After all there it is right there on Google Maps for any one to see. It is protected by one thing and that's a biggie. It's just not easy to get to and takes a little getting to. Hmm, ya know maybe that's why it's a big fish spot.
Today I didn't have to worry I didn't see a person. The only company I had was a groundhog digging a hole up on the bank while keeping a serious eye on me.
Catching fish it turned out wasn't a problem. I was catching fish right and left on a clear with gold flake grub swam pretty fast as a search bait covering ground. Just one problem my big fish wasn't one of them. I'd come here just for a big girl. I always caught a big girl here that's what made it worth the effort to get here. Oh well five hours to go. No problem. One hour gone. No big fish. Two hours gone. Nope. Three hours Nada. Four. Zip.
By now I'd changed colors several times. Changed size. Changed from a grub to a curly shad. Tried Aa square bill. A spinnerbait. An X-rap, Four inch worm. Some funky made in China crankbait I dug out of the bottom of the pack. And then back to original clear with gold 4 inch grub.
By now I'd given up hope for a good fish and was happily catching one little smallie after another when I noticed it wasn't so hot any more. The shadows stretched way out over the pools and the first fireflies of the evening were beginning to blink on and off. It would be time to go soon.
One last hurrah for a good one. Down in the bottom of the pack I found a big triple wing buzzbait, on the hook I threaded the clear with gold grub I'd been killing the small fish on for good measure. A few casts and a halfhearted swirl behind it. A bat was out early fluttering above the last of the evening's swallows as they zipped about like fighter jets.
I threw the big buzzbait right up below the riffle feeding into the hole. Too fast really for the buzzer but just as it hit the slower water of the pool a fish creamed it.I set the hook and a dandy smallmouth went airborne. End over end in a cartwheel leaving me cussing like a sailor and cranking like a madman trying to keep slack out of the line. A few nice runs and then as she came up to jump one last time right at my feet I slid her out right out on the gravel. A bit over nineteen and a half according to the tape. The yak trip down the dark river with fireflies blinking was pretty awesome. As I loaded the yak in the truck up in the woods a barred owl called. I'm pretty sure I smiled all the way home.




No comments:

Post a Comment