Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Mountain Time

Spent a few days on the North Carolina side of the smokies with my friend Greg. I first heard of Greg thru a mutual friend who said "that guy's fishy". Which describes Greg perfectly. Whether it's catching tiny brook trout out a mountain creek, giant hybrid stripers out of the river or doing wacky stuff like developing a night time fly rod saugeye river pattern he just gets it done. I think while sitting around the fire and on the long drive we came up with the ideas for a half dozen future trips and brainstormed another half dozen out of the box fishing techniques. Definitely my kind of people.
If you have never gotten out of your car in GSMNP and walked far enough into the woods that you cant hear the road noise do it as soon as possible, it is absolutely one of the best places on earth. Like on any trip to the smokies it's not so much a matter of will I catch a fish, that's pretty much a given. Instead it's a question of how many and how big. Which in our case was a whole lot and not very. The smokies are such a special place though that it's the one place that at least for me the fishing is almost secondary, an excuse and a reason to spend a lot of time knee deep immersed in a world that's pretty much heaven on earth for a guy like me.








No comments:

Post a Comment