Saturday, July 29, 2017

angry beavers and big buck bassin....

Today was just the opposite of yesterdays city fishing. Today was out in the middle of nowhere. You walk about a quarter mile down a tractor path and then skirt the edge of this huge soybean field. You know one of those giant ones where the barn on the other side is tiny and the people just specks.
While fighting my way thru the strip of weeds where field meets woods a huge buck jumps up that was bedded down out in the waist high soybeans. Although his rack wasn't grown it was already way out past his ears and high. The camera was in the knapsack so no photo. Then seventy yards further up jumps another even bigger buck, I swear he looked like a Boone and Crocket deer for sure.
Then finally I made my way up along the riverbank. All along the river was beaver sign after beaver sign. Then I could see a beaver swimming towards my bank. The ground was a high sand bank and I could walk silently. I slipped closer with camera in hand. Thru heavy brush I could see the beaver climb out then disappear on the other side of a giant sycamore log that was at least waist high. Slowly I crept up to the log and stuck my head over. A beaver looks huge when it jumps two feet in the air and is only three feet away. I'm not sure who was more startled me or the beaver. Needless to say no photo this time either. A half hour later I did manage a photo of a pretty smallmouth bass though. Still a bit murky the river is getting better looking every minute and so is the fishing. Today's fish were again on Vic's new USB swimbait. I'm loving that thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment