Wednesday, July 12, 2017

The search for the ultimate swimbait...

So I dunno, I guess the closest thing to a title I'd have with the Vic Coomer Lure Company is field tester. I'm the guy who fishes 150 plus days a year, writes a bit about it and hopefully gives reasoned well thought out private feedback on different prototypes, colors sizes, etc. That involves everything from color or size changes in already established product to "hey this guy in Iowa says he has a mold to make 89 of this thing at a time, see what ya think". You wouldn't believe some of the weird things I've got stashed out in the garage.
Thru all of this has been the never ending search for a great paddletail swimbait. Not just a good one, a lot of guys sell a good one, but a great one. I've probably thrown more different versions of a soft plastic swimbait the last couple years than anyone alive. Some good, some okay, some not so good, some downright awful. Swimbaits with ridges, swimbaits that were round, swimbaits that were flat.
And the whole time comparing, taking notes, well this one does this well, that one does that well, and everything seemingly a compromise. This one swims well but doesn't look realistic. This one looks realistic but it doesn't fish as well. Like I said, everything a compromise.
Until the USB came along. It's pretty much bits and pieces of all we have learned about soft plastic swimbaits all rolled into one package. Not too big, not too small, ultra realistic profile, as perfect a set of eyes as you are ever going to find. And, drum roll please, just absolutely wonderful action. Slow along the bottom or throw it out and reel it back as a search bait, it doesn't matter that paddle just keeps thumping at any speed. Perfection in motion. As good as it looks in pictures or in your hand, it looks even better swimming back to you in clear water.
The last few versions Vic has left on the front porch this summer for me to try out when I get home of an evening. And I'm like a kid on Christmas eve, I can't wait to get home and see them. Yeah, I get way too excited about fishing, is there such a thing as a lure nerd? Come to think of it maybe that's my title instead of field tester, lure nerd.  I've been fishing this thing for a while now and it's been killing me not being able to talk about it while Vic built up inventory and ordered special packaging. ( they will come in a special stiff plastic insert that protects them that slips inside the normal plastic bag) But finally the gag order is off and I'm allowed to finally talk about it.
It's called the USB because that's what we have been looking for the whole time, the USB or Ultimate Swim Bait. And I think this comes closer to being just that than anything out there offered by anyone. I'm kinda a little bit excited about it can't ya tell. Like I said, a lure nerd. And it catches everything that swims, so far I've caught largemouth, shovelhead catfish,  hybrid stripers, channel catfish, and oh yeah, it's fast become my go to lure for big river smallmouth.





No comments:

Post a Comment