Sunday, September 24, 2017

Highs and Lows...

A little different report than the one on Ohio Fishing Reports. First the report, then the rest of the story....
The streak of fine river smallmouth fishing continues. If you aren't fishing now you should. The last week has been the finest smallie fishing of the year. Same pattern but a different river today. Fast fast shallow water about two casts away from a deep slow hole. On a Vic Coomer five inch grub on a 1/4 ounce jighead. Couldn't quite make that fish reach 20 inches just a bit shy no matter how I measured her. No matter she was perfect in my eyes, probably the best fighting fish of the year, really peeling drag in that fast water and jumping three times.
Now the rest of the story...
I threw the grub upstream into some raging fast water and it comes back at me too fast. I'm reeling trying to get the slack out and realize there is a fish on I set the hook. Kind of mushy, set the hook again thinking there is too much slack the first time. The little rod bends into the cork and line screams out then slack I'm reeling like mad and ten feet out in front of me the biggest smallmouth I've ever seen rockets skyward and throws the grub. Ten feet away; looking right at it. If your reading my personal page you know I've caught as many big river smallies as anyone and caught a 22.5" in the BWCA last year. I know as well as anyone what's a big fish. Well this fish dwarfed the fish I'd measured 15 minutes before that was a fraction under 20 inches. Fish of a lifetime.....gone



No comments:

Post a Comment