Thursday, October 5, 2017

The big buzzbait and the big bass...

Anyone that's ever fished much with me knows that I use two baits for well over half of my smallmouth fishing. One, the one most people associate me with is a soft plastic on a jig head. I feel that a grub or a swimbait is almost never a bad choice, most of the time as good as any and the best choice quite often. I've fished one so much for so many years now that I'm pretty connected with what it's doing down there. Year round, under the widest range of conditions, for me it's my go to lure.
The other lure is in many respects the polar opposite of the jig and that's a buzzbait. The main appeal of the buzzbait is that it triggers more strikes from the very biggest smallmouth than any lure out there. If your goal is to catch a twenty inch smallmouth out of a river, all thru the heat of summer and into late fall you should be throwing a buzzbait. I try to never speak in absolutes when it comes to fishing. Just when you think you know something is a certain way, the fish will prove you wrong. But I'll repeat my one absolute.... If your goal is to catch a twenty inch smallmouth out of a river, all thru the heat of summer and into late fall you should be throwing a buzzbait. I don't know why it just works on big smallmouth. It's gotten so bad that come August and September I have to almost make myself throw something else every now and then.
The only problem with that is I have a brother in the lure business who didn't sell a buzzbait. So I've been bugging him for several years now to sell a buzzbait. "You need one with a long shank hook, long wire form, triple or quad blade, silicone skirt..." Finally he just threw it back at me. "You design a buzzbait, just the way you want it, and I'll sell it."
So I'm ordering lure parts from all over the place, trying this and that and tinkering till I got what I wanted. And here she is. A quad wing buzzbait with a huge almost clear blade that has a rivet so you can tune it to make noise or not make noise. Silicone skirt, long wire frame, long shank hook, everything I want out of a buzzbait. I've only fished it once so far, and only caught this one fish so far. But did I mention it's a big fish lure? What a beastie! She missed it the first time, I chucked it back and she hammered it and took off like I'd hooked a train. Funny but if you look at the closeup you can see her top lip is a tiny bit shorter than usual but otherwise fine. It must be genetic because I've caught three or four fish from the same area like this. If you look at the rod, I've measured it and it's 20 inches out the end of the word "series" too BTW...

No comments:

Post a Comment