Saturday, March 23, 2013

some saugfish

Finally the river is back down to fishable, just a bit off color. With snow and horrible weather back in the forcast I decided to dam hop my way up the GMR today. I ended up hitting three dams catching a few fish at each one. Plus snaring two suckers on jigs and catching a redhorse and golden sucker fairly on smoke metalflake grubs. The saugeyes seemed to like an orange and yellow three inch grub the best. I switched back and forth between a 1/4 and 3/8 ounce jighead depending on the depth and current. I also saw more fish and minnows working than I have all winter. Things are slowly waking up. At one dam someone had dumped out their nightcrawlers when they left and a great blue heron was feeding on them and let me walk right up within twenty feet. pretty cool. Every saugeye was on some sort of current break or seam and not really in any sort of slack water. I think I ended up with a half dozen, all on grubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment