Friday, March 29, 2013

personal best 26 inch saugeye

I debated on even going or not. The GMR was up but not alot. But with big plans that didn't include fishing this weekend I thought I'd go for a while today even if the catching wasn't going to be all that hot. I was wrong about that. Five minutes into it and I caught a nice saugeye probably a 22 inch fish and they continued to hit ok the whole time I was fishing. The river wasn't really too muddy, just a bit off color but it was up a foot over where I normally like it. I fished two 3/8th ounce jig heads in tandem to keep them down and bumping bottom. If I'd have brought 1/2 ounce ones I think I'd have been better off. But every ten minutes or so I'd have a strong thump and and then you could feel that head shake that said saugfish. I fished pink metalflake and neon chartruese grubs. With one of each on the line it looked quite festive... I also hooked several suckers, some foul hooked but a few inside the mouth. I bet you would tear them up right now on small hooks and redworms. I made a long cast quartering upstream and let the jigs sweep down reeling just enough to keep a tight line and not hook up on the bottom. Thump and the rod bent double and the drag began to really slip. Couldn't be a saugeye, too big. Then I could feel the head shake. But I still didn't think it was a saugeye till it rolled up out in the current and I could see that bronze. Then I began to worry. Alot. But no problems, a pretty uneventfull landing. I snapped a few pictures and then held her in the current till she was ready to go. Later I couldn't find a picture that did the fish justice, she was fatter and bigger than she looks in the photo. I guess if you go fishing enough your bound to get lucky every now and then. I felt pretty lucky today.

2 comments:

  1. Do you mind sharing the location of the low water dam I'm new to the area and looking for good bank fishing sppots

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a whole series of low head dams from Hamilton to the headwaters on the Great Miami. They all have decent fishing. You can find them on Google Maps

    ReplyDelete