Sunday, March 31, 2013

3/31 LMR

It just so happened that the second half of my previously booked up day became gloriously free just about the time the skies cleared up. Happy coincidence or a sign? Both maybe.. So I saw four deer walking in. A big doe and then a bit further on a big doe and last years fawns. The four deer were four more than the number of people I ran into so things were off to a great start. I also found some marsh marigolds starting to bloom. I guess spring has finally begun to sprung. In a couple weeks the river bottoms will be a beautiful carpet of butter yellow. . The LMR is gorgeous right now. Lots of water in the river but not a bad color at all. I started to wade across a riffle, thought the better of it and waded back to cut a limb to use as a wading staff. About a third of the way across I decided the water was too cold for a dip and chickened out. I'd have waded it with no second thoughts in warmer weather. But it's in not too bad a fishing shape really. Another week or so and things will be booming. In a big eddy I fished a hair jig under a float for a long time with no action. But I did get to watch a couple kingfishers quarrel, or maybe court. I'm not sure. But they put on a good show. Crossing a small creek I flushed a pair of wood ducks at ten feet, I'm not sure who was more startled them or me. By then things were warming up nicely and in another bigger eddy I caught a couple nice smallmouth on a three inch pumpkinseed grub. All in all it felt like the first trip of spring instead of one of the last trips of winter. That's a nice feeling. __________________

No comments:

Post a Comment