Thursday, April 4, 2013

A great bad trip...

So I decided to check out a stretch of the LMR I've never been to. On google maps you could see a nice big island with a bend right at the end. That bend looked like it held a big hole that might be a haven for overwintering smallies. Well on the way in there were deer everywhere. I must have seen a half dozen maybe more. It was kind of hard to tell, they were just kind of wandering around and I might have seen the same deer several times, very cool. Then I walked right up on a groundhog that took off in that amazingly fast waddle. Well when I got where I wanted there was just one problem. A big problem. There was a big hole alright but it was on my side of the river. At the bottom of a twenty foot tall bank that was anywhere from straight up and down to overhanging. It looked wonderfully deep and fish but there was no getting to it today. At least not from this side of the river anyways and I didn't bring waders. Downstream I could see another hole with the cliff on the other side. I wandered down there but it wasn't as deep or fishy looking. I finally managed to catch an 8 inch smallie. I glanced downstream and saw a coyote moving thru the brush. Puckering my lips, I made a squeeking noise trying to sound like something small and tasty like a mouse. The coyote disappeared but then appeared on the top of the cliff across the river from me. He stood around for five minutes at least looking for whatever made the sound. I was dressed in camo coveralls and he never spooked. Finally he turned and dipped over the bank only to pop back up when I squeeked again. Finally he caught me moving trying to get a better picture with my little point and shoot fishing camera and spooked. I fished for a bit longer mostly soaking up the experience with the coyote. Right then two osprey flew overhead heading upriver. Two. I wander if there is a nest nearby. By then the sky was turning crimson red. A perfect ending to a great bad fishing trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment