Monday, August 5, 2013

Carpnado

I'm wading the river with the fly rod catching a few small bass on a stonefly nymph. In this little calm shallow spot right above a riffle I can see some fish milling about making waves. I cast the nymph in the general area. Nothing. I cast again. This time I can see a big tail tip up as a carp tails. I cast again towards where I think the head is. Nothing. I raise the rod to cast again and its tight to a fish. The fish bolts, taking with it three or four other carp in a giant whoosh that has about a ten foot circle of river looking like a giant toilet flushing. I had about five or six feet of loose line on the ground which jumps up and somehow clears the guides as the reel screams. I'm splashing upstream following the fish as it streaks thru the hole. Thank goodness it didn't go down the riffle. The tippet was six pound test and I was pretty sure I'd never land the fish. But it stays in the pool just making huge circles. Finally it starts to tire coming in till it sees me then streaks off again. Finally its half on its side just holding its place upstream of me. I wade up to it reeling and now Its in ten inches of water and if you have ever tried to land a carp with no net you know that isn't easy. Finally very ungracefully I just put a hand on its back and pin it to the bottom till I can grab it by a gill plate. A few pictures a measurement (29 inches) and a bit of fishy cpr by holding it upright by the tail and working the fish back and forth and it's gone, seemingly no worse for wear...

No comments:

Post a Comment