Saturday, October 19, 2013

Ligtning strikes twice...19" smallmouth



I texted Dave. "So you want to go fishing? I kinda been doing okay at this spot, cough, cough" The nice part about Dave is the guy is as paranoid about our fishing spots as I am. We've spent hours and hours each pouring over sat maps and sending each other ideas and wild theories. He's kinda like the neighbor on the old Home Improvement show. Remember Wilson that they never showed his whole face? Well Dave's posts are just close ups of fish so people wont recognize him and fish his spots. So Delta is the only guy on earth I'd trust with the exact spot I caught the twenty inch fish yesterday. He was already fishing when I got to the river. As I'm walking up he was taking a picture of a 15 inch fish and said he'd just caught another that size and had been there like ten minutes. I'm like cool. Now let's leave. He instantly got his stuff. You know Dave, the guy that caught three 18' fish in one day a week or so ago, he's all about catching a big smallie. So we hiked on up to the spot. I'm showing him, "Ok, so they are right here lying in this seam of really fast water right along that rocky bank. I caught the 20, a 17, and lost a 18 to 20 inch fish right here." I'm making casts, kind of showing him where the fish are and how I'm fishing it and Thump. Out of the water comes this huge smallie. At first I'm like...Ok this is a 20 inch fish! I fight it a bit and then land it without too much drama so I'm beginning to realize it's not as big as yesterdays fish but still a big bruiser. Dave gets his measuring board. 19 inches! I was pretty pumped, I'm sure I rattled on to Dave like a little excited kid. The potential of this new spot still has me excited three hours later. Water temp was 60 even, down a degree from yesterday. Only six or seven degrees till it slows with some cool nights in the forecast. Call in sick to work, take a vacation day, fake your own death. Whatever it takes, this might not last too much longer...



These two are from the next day. Water has dropped another degree. Fish still up in the fast run right on a current sleeve. Cold rainy, high in the 50's, The end is near...

No comments:

Post a Comment