Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Alone time

I was just about to start with a diatribe about how I can like an individual but people as a whole are jerks. It was then I had an epiphany. That's just not right, individuals(taken as whole? Does that make sense?) are assholes. Worried way too much about what is on TV that night, if their team is going to win, what the fat mom on duck dynasty is cooking for dinner. I've always been a loner, now I'm well on my way to becoming a crusty old bastard. It's funny but the one time I'm a nice guy, when I like myself the most, is when I'm by myself. Alone poking around the river, I find the time the think about more than Dancing With the Kardashians. I'll stop sit on a rock and just watch the river a spell. Something I'd never do out fishing with someone else. It's funny but I'm more likely to catch a bigger fish by myself too. I'll try something different, experiment a bit. Let's face it, a lot of big fish don't get caught because someone is just trying to catch just as many fish as the other guy. The few guys I do go fishing with seem to feel that way also on some level. They are about as likely as me to wander off into the bushes for an hour or two looking at inky cap mushrooms or fallen leaves. These same guys are just as likely too to fish way too hard in driving rain or snow because their gut tells them too. We sometimes end up back at the truck having fished the same stream for five or six hours having only spoken five or six words. But somehow we "went fishing together". Anyways, one thing I've taken to doing when fishing by myself is tucking a small sketch pad in my pack. Some times it sets there untouched, sometimes it adds so much to my time spent outside. It forces me to slow down, notice things, look at the things I miss most of the time. Could anything be better training for a fisherman? For being a person. Who knows eventually If I draw enough I won't be such an asshole myself...






1 comment:

  1. Your sketches are fabulous!! You need to show them more often.

    ReplyDelete