Saturday, October 5, 2013

Today I had to be way upstream at Oldtown above Xenia to photograph the opening ceremony for the Tecumseh Preserve on the Little Miami. The preserve is on the site of the village that Tecumseh spent his youth at. It's also where Daniel Boone was brought as a captive of the Shawnee. Due to the fact that there might be valuable archeological items as yet undiscovered the preserve is open by appointment only. As part of the ceremony there was a reenactment of Tecumseh fording the LMR. I took some photos of the LMR I thought were pretty cool...






After the ceremony and a bit of stormy weather I had the evening free to fish. I tried a spot a few miles away I had kept in the back of my mind as a fall spot to try. It was for the upper LMR very deep with a fine riffle. Right away I caught a nice saugfish and a spotted bass. A few minutes later another saugfish bopped my jig in what became the pattern for the evening. Two or three saugfish and then a spotted bass then two or three more saugfish. They were stacked up in the deep run and I must have caught at least a dozen. Then I set the hook on what I thought was another saug-o-matic and out of the water blasted a huge smallmouth spitting my lure back at me. It was a very big fish. After a minor meltdown, some cussing, angst, and a bit of soul searching it was back to catching saugs till dark. Even with losing the big smallie I was very happy with adding a new place to my list of spots. (Google maps is the greatest thing ever BTW) I ended up with 3 spotted bass, a 14 inch smallie and lots and lots of saugs. Every fish came on this hideous gold mixed with pearl and metalflake three inch grub that I've probably had in my pile of tackle at home for 15 or 20 years! Rummaging thru restocking my pack it was just a case of "huh, I'll try that".


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day! Glad I found your blog....tight lines!

    ReplyDelete