Monday, December 2, 2013

Wipers, stripers and whites. Oh My

I left out a day early for the start of deer gun season and hit a couple creek mouths where they dumped into the Ohio. Its a good thing too as I had much better luck fishing than hunting. The fish seemed to staged just outside the creek mouth in the OR itself. The start of the day was really slow, I think by noon I'd had one strike. But as the day warmed up so did the fishing. Right around three there even was a five minute period or so where stripers were blowing up on bait at the surface. In a whole day of fishing I caught seven or eight hybrids and stripers, a few small white bass and four or five skipjacks. I also lost the biggest skipjack I've ever seen. Big enough that I texted House asking what the record skippy was. It was that big, looking like a little tarpon as it jumped and threw my jig. All fish were caught on a white bucktail jig tied from a deer I did happen to get bowhunting earlier in the season. Dandrews poured the jigheads and I painted them and tied the jigs so it was pretty sweet to get some fish on them. Two fish spit up small two inch shad, I imagine any white or silver lure in that size range would have gotten action. River wasn't up but it was pretty muddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment