Wednesday, April 6, 2016

And then the fishing gods smiled...

It was just plain out n out cold today. When I left the river at dark the thermometer in my truck said it was 42. And a pretty good breeze was blowing up the river. But it was worth it. I found the smallmouth stacked right at the edge of a deep wintering hole, driven back in by the cold but still active. And for once I whacked em. I was using Vic's new swim grub, which after today is my new favorite bait. I added a photo of it next to a regular three inch grub so you can see the difference. A nice compact hunk of meat for a smallies dinner. I also included a close up of a nice smallie covered in those pitch black spots you sometimes see on them in cold weather. What a swell day for average size. The fish just nailed the bait with a good solid thump as I swam it back just off the bottom, life doesn't get much better than this for an old river rat.







No comments:

Post a Comment