Sunday, April 10, 2016

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night .....




Woke up to a big surprise. A snow squall had passed during the night and when I looked outside the world was covered in snow. On April 9th. Sigh...The truck dash read 32 degrees as I headed out to where a bit of warm water dumped into a tributary a mile or so up from the Ohio river. What a moron, the wind was whipping and snow flying as as dawn broke. At least the fish gods decided to reward me for being brave enough (or stupid enough) to fish in such weather. Feeling the fish might be more active in the warm water dumping into the river than you might expect I tied on my favorite lure combination for these kind of places. A pop-r with about two feet of line tid off th rear treble and a small jig tied to that. My theory being the pop-r attracts the fish and they then hit the little jig. Today even a few hybrids nailed the pop-r but mostly the jig. The white bass and small hybrids were actually hitting pretty good and twice I even caught them on back to back casts. I also threw a grub some and caught a crappie, a channel, a couple white bass and a tiny smallie on that. I think the fish as well as me are anxious for spring to actually get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment