Tuesday, July 12, 2016

A bit of overnight adventure with Dan out on the river.


Where we launched the yaks there is a bug light. From a distance it smelled like a dead fish in the area. Closer inspection revealed the smell was coming from windrows of dead mayflies. Hmm.. wonder what this is going to do to the fishing? Turned out it made for a cool fly fishing experience. Every small eddy had pods of carp just gulping down mouthfuls of bugs. I would cast a small marabou streamer and it would be within five feet of five or six carp. I snapped the first off on the hookset. Then broke one off and then settled down to land a couple. Pretty cool.
We ended up catching five shovels, three on lures and and two on cut bait. I landed a few decent smallmouth on a clear with silver glitter grub. And in the morning after Dan left lost a pig, possibly the biggest smallie I've had on in a year or two. It seems like I'm in a mini slump with big smallies, I think the last couple have thrown the hook. The river is a brownish greenish tint and could really use a good thunderstorm or two to freshen it up a bit. 









No comments:

Post a Comment