Friday, July 29, 2016

The pig pen

I've taken to calling it the pig pen. It's a short very fast slot of water right below a very strong riffle. The kind of place where any other time of year a slip would send you quite a ways downstream before you could get out. With the extremely low water, high heat, and yucky green water it is drawing big smallies like a magnet. It's already an out of the way piece of river that doesn't get fished much so there are usually good smallmouth all thru it. Now they are all at the pig pen. As much as I know the river needs a good flushing out part of me is hoping for another couple weeks of this. Tonight's best fish nailed a triple winged buzz bait with a clear with silver curly shad in place of a skirt. Like I said it nailed it but didn't get hooked. I threw a three inch grub right back at it and it hit instantly. A couple big jumps that had my heart in my throat and I finally landed her. Ten minutes later on the other end of the slot right as I was lifting the lure from the water a pig smallie nailed the buzzbait with like ten inches of line out and broke me off.  #&*@!!  The drag was set plenty light enough but a four pound smallie on ten inches of eight pound test isn't going to end well....



No comments:

Post a Comment