Tuesday, May 21, 2019

blast off...

Its been busy at work. So today was a mad dash out the door with a rod and a zip lock baggie full of swimbaits and jigheads. With smallmouth I'm usually guilty of having ten colors of soft plastics along with a variety of other baits with me all the time. But when chasing stripey fish I'm pretty content with Vic's paddletail swimbait and a couple zara spooks. With hybrids I think where and when are much more key than what 90 percent of the time. It's a case of "well with these water levels and these temps I need to try here, here or here".
Anyways I'm fishing a beautiful living room sized eddy of waist to head deep water off to one side of a fast riffle when whack and the rod bent double as a very big fish screamed off downstream. Then the rod went straight, no fish. The jig hook was straightened. D@#%!! that was a fish that would have gotten a Kaboom out of ole Gibbs too.
Then after retying and maybe ten minutes of casting, another strike and another fish just blasting off. I know I make fun sometimes of these things because they don't jump like my beloved smallmouth but the truth is nothing this side of the ocean pulls like these things and they are a close second on my list of favorite fish. And this fish just seems to zoom out of the eddy into the fast water in a split second. After three or four more screaming runs I get lucky and land this one. What a swell evening this turned out to be...



No comments:

Post a Comment