Monday, May 27, 2019

Sploosh!!!

What an exciting morning. I'm up on top of this little 6 foot high cliff working this zara spook back to me. Maybe a rods length to my right a couple big rocks stick out and create this really strong seam. As I'm lifting the spook up out of the water this huge hybrid comes streaking out of the seam and swirls at the spook. I make a 15 foot cast and like five foot back a gigantic sploosh and the spook goes flying thru the air and the instant it hits the water is hammered again and knocked back in the air. I walk the bait back and two casts later this repeats itself. I walk the spook back till its hanging right below the rod tip. And hovering under the bait is the giant hybrid. An upper 20's in length fish in the 9 to 11 pound range I'd guess from staring straight down at it from atop my little cliff. What a view. Then it just ghosts back into the seam. 15 minutes later a beaver swims downriver and as i'm watching it a toilet flushes under my spook and I feel the fish for just a split second but don't hook up.
Up the bank the main current hits the close bank and I flip the spook upstream and reel and walk it frantically and a big smallmouth whacks the bait and jumps like four times. I'm on top of another high bank and its like how do I land this fish???? The fish is pretty whipped and I shove the rod thru this bush to hold it and climb down the bank on some roots to land the fish! It was just about the longest skinniest smallie I've ever seen and not anywhere near the heaviest smallmouth of the year even though it was one of the longest.
Another cast up the bank and another big smallmouth comes up and blasts the spook but doesn't get hooked.
I've definitely got plans to return for a rematch with the big hybrid and smallmouth. Maybe an after dark trip with a big prop plug or a jumbo curly shad....



No comments:

Post a Comment