Monday, August 26, 2019

the carp caper

So you are standing up on top of this wall maybe ten feet over the water. It's night time. There are lights on poles way up high and on the other side. So you don't cast a shadow on the water and you can see down in the water. Out in front of you is a strong current, out there about a casts length. Out there is where you catch game fish. When you hook a fish you walk it down the wall where you can land it. Except not tonight. Absolutely nothing is going on.
But look down underneath you. Down at the base of the wall hanging out in the slack water you an see a dozen carp finning lazily. Nobody was any size but you could a couple were mirrors and one was so pale as to look almost white. There aren't many mirrors around my streams so I really wanted one.
So the next night I'm back ready to catch one. Two ounce sinker, a cage feeder, a hair rigged boilie. Classic, standard carp rigging. I lower the rig into the water. Mind you I didn't cast it. I lowered it down the wall. Blip, blip, it enters the water. And just like that every carp slowly fades away and is gone. What the... ??? A half hour later the baitrunner purrs. It's a channel cat. Then another half hour and I hook up again. Another small catfish. No carp.
The next night I'm back with another rig. A small treble hook, no weight and a wheatie dough ball.
Tonights haul, a bass out in the current and a carp on the doughball. A small three pound carp. Okay this is getting personal now.
So the next nights rig is getting a bit wild. First the night before just before I left I scattered corn into the water all along the wall to get the carp confident in feeding on it. The rig is two pieces of corn and a yellow foam fly fishing strike indicator hair rigged. Nothing else. The rig lowers into the water so softly I cant even be sure the exact it enters the water. I keep the bail flipped open and pinch the line gently between thumb and index finger of my free hand. The strike indicator balances the weight of the hook so that it just kind of floats along underwater slowly making a big circle at the base of the wall then out three or four feet then slowly drifting back to the wall. Halfway thru the second turn, bump, and I drop the line. It just sits there then twitches. I flip the bail over reel down and set. Fish on.... Yeah I went to a lot of trouble to catch a half dozen rather small carp and some even smaller channels. But it was rather difficult, different, and I learned a thing or two. I enjoyed the heck out of it.









No comments:

Post a Comment