Friday, June 14, 2013

Knee Deep 6/14

The rivers are a mess. Especially the LMR. And I wanted clear water badly. I've had enough muddy water the last few weeks to last me all summer. So I went to a tiny little stream that was about 15 feet across in most places. But there are holes from knee deep to around waist deep, though most of it barely covers your ankles. About two miles of it run thru pretty woods before it enters the LMR. And it was clear. Beautifully wonderfully clear. The clearest water I'd fished all spring. Did I mention it was clear? I was very happy about that. I hiked a bit upstream and began fishing. On the second cast a fiesty rock bass walloped my rebel minnow as soon as hit the water. And they kept it up. You had to poke around a bit to find a hole or a knee deep eddy, but when you did there was a fish in it. You could see crawdads scoot away backwards in the clear water. I saw a mink rummaging around in some twisted sycamore roots and rocks upstream in that maladroit looking but quick as a wink way they have of moving. I froze and watched the mink and listened to the music of the creek and a quote by Byron came to mind..."When the green woods laugh with the voice of joy, And the dimpling stream runs laughing by".
The fish seemed to like the rebel minnow fished on top so I switched to one of my favorite lures of all time, a pop-r. And the smallies loved it. One ten inch fish jumped out of the water in a tiny backwater and took the plug on the way down. I was so surprised I didn't even set the hook and the spunky bass jumped again and spit out my lure. I ended up with 7 or 8 small bass topping out at 11 or 12 inches and three rock bass in a couple hours and walked out very satisfied. I saw a mink, a kingfisher, two great blue herons, a small snake and no other fishermen. Every time I do this kind of tiny water wading I learn all over again just how much fun it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment