Sunday, June 30, 2013

Like a drowned rat (river rat that is)


So the weather said severe storm warnings for like owen ripley switzerland counties as I left work. Cool thats a long ways away. I might just get in a hour or two of fishing. Its too cool to storm big here anyways...

I drive, walk, wade to the spot. Sweet no rain in sight. Just then I heard the first rumbles of thunder. Right as a pretty good smallie hit. Ok lets see the water is this high. If it raises an inch your leaving. Because I have to wade that stretch to get out. the only good way out. Whack another smallie hits as it starts to sprinkle. By the time I get it unhooked you cant see ten feet its raining so hard. I make a rock cairn right at the waters edge to mark the waterline and go back to fishing. The water is the clearest its been in seemingly a month at least. And the fish were on the feed big time. I mostly used a small silver super spot and they loved it. I lost track of how many I caught but I'd guess around 20 smallmouth plus two channels including one of the smallest catfish Ive ever caught. The heavy rain only lasted ten minutes or so then it settled down to alternating bits of light rain and no rain. Perfect fishing weather. Most of the fish ran your typical 10 to 14 inches but there were two or three better fish. Finally I was thinking I need to leave but still fishing when a decent smallie slammed the lure right in front of me and came out of the water somersaulting end over end seemingly head high as it spit out my lure. Smiling I thought now thats the perfect ending and reeled in and headed home in the growing darkness feeling like I'd somehow gotten away with something and stolen a day out of the bad weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment