Friday, July 6, 2018

a lovely day

Wow, what a difference 24 hours makes. Ten degrees cooler, no humidity. Simply a swell day to be outdoors and alive. I decided to take advantage of the weather and take a trip that requires a long walk. Which would have been a death march the last few days but was a joy today. You can float to the spot but that takes longer and is even more of a pain than just hoofing it. I'm lucky if I fish it more than once or twice a year. The spot was man made sometime in the distant past but I'm not sure what it was. Some kind of wing dam maybe to divert the main current is my guess but I'm not sure. What it does now is make most of the stream really really shallow. Like ankle deep worthless shallow. But on the far bank it creates a 50 yard long waist deep fast run with a cobble bottom that has smallmouth written all over it. I'll be honest I've never made a killing the day a heat wave breaks, the day you would think you would tear them up. And today was no exception, I only caught one fish. But what a beauty. No jumps, but one long run after another and even one thru the ankle deep stuff that had water bulging like you see on those TV shows of guys catching bonefish on the flats. I'll take a one fish day like today anytime.


No comments:

Post a Comment