Monday, July 30, 2018

Spooky

So the stripers quit at 8 am every day. Just quit. It's five hours to get home but I don't really have to be home till midnight if I don't want to. What to do? Take the very scenic way home thru east Tenn and KY looking for smallmouth streams and covered bridges of course.
So I've found this stream on google and there is supposed to be a covered bridge on it. I leave this one stoplight town driving down a two lane. Then a smaller road that you have to worry a bit when some one is coming. Then a gravel road. Then a gravel road where you are thinking what the heck to I do If I meet someone. I pass three or four of the most dangerous looking railroad crossings I've ever seen. The tracks run thru blasted cuts in the mountain just wide enough for the train to pass and you cannot look down them till you are up on the tracks.
And then the most beautiful stream ever. Never mind where, I'm pretty sure I'll be back there fishing soon. The gravel road runs pinched between the creek and the tracks. Again what do I do if I meet someone?
But I've not seen a car in thirty minutes. Though I did pass an old man on a four wheeler a while back. Bib overalls and an engineer hat and he waved. When you get far enough out there everyone waves when you pass them. In their car or just sitting on the porch. Though it's been miles since the last house.
Finally the covered bridge. I've never seen one like it. It's covered in tin siding and had a huge iron gate with a lock. Google maps calls the turnoff Unnamed Road. Gotta love that. It's obviously not a public bridge but one put up back in the day by the mining company. Because you could see there on the other side of the stream unnamed road just disappear right into a giant hole in the mountain.
But behind me, across my gravel road was the real reason for this whole post. There's a wide spot in the gravel road. here I'm level with the tracks and there on the other side of the wide spot are two huge cavernous holes in the mountain. Like 75 or 80 feet high each. Not walled up or anything just huge holes. I've got a spot light in the car which I shine in one. It goes for hundreds of yards before the light just gives out. How far do they go? To China? To the underworld? My mind says they were limestone mines a long time ago. Built big enough for trucks and steam shovels to go inside. My gut says this is the perfect place for a horror movie. No signs. No fences. No trace of anything. Just huge never ending holes. Spooky.
Normally everything on earth has a warning sign. High water, falling rock. high voltage. not a sign anywhere. Not even a no trespassing sign. Like I said spooky. I guess I'm going to have to go back with a light and a couple backup lights in a daypack and see what's in there ...


No comments:

Post a Comment