Thursday, July 19, 2018

Wading where you should be casting...



So my streams are low, hot and green right now. Not the best fishing conditions overall but excellent if you know where to go. And one spot was eating me alive, 45 minutes from the house and lately I've only had time for short trips, adding an hour and a half drive time round trip was just too much. But my gut was telling me, no screaming at me to go there. So finally I made time. There's a little parking lot for a set of trails and a pretty good little walk to the river. I get to where I can see the river and OH NO! some guy is fishing. There are lots and lots of fishy looking spots here but only one THE SPOT and he was walking right towards it. Oh, and I know this guy, he's a pretty avid river angler, that's not good....
I sit down in the shade, (kinda behind a log too, purely accidental of course) and watch. He's fishing either a jig and pig or a tube, something you can hop along the bottom and fishing slowly. Oh well there's no where else nearby I wanna try so I wait. Finally he walks around a few rocks and up to the spot. A sharp bend that has a slot of swift fast water close to shore that's only about a foot deep and then a deep run, the deepest part of the river running along beside it tapering to a gradual gravel bank on the far shore.
The shallow fast water has some basketball sized rocks in it and he picks his way between a couple and begins to cast his jig up on the far bank and crawl it back into the run. Sigh, he is very thorough and takes forever. Finally he slowly moves off upstream.
Okay kill a little more time to let it settle. I look for fossils and find a cool horned coral. And he has now moved off out of sight up river. I walk down, stop ten feet back from the shore and pitch underhand at the basketball sized rocks in a foot of swift water. The second pitch and as the curly swim sweeps around a big chunk, wham! the fish you see in the photos slams it. Maybe five feet from where the guy was standing ankle deep 20 minutes earlier. This is only around 430 in the evening, bright and sunny. The super fast, super shallow pattern actually works best then, right in or right after the heat of the day. Early mornings and late evenings are buzzbait times in calmer water close to fast but middle of the day the big fish that want to eat are right up in the fast stuff. Sometimes right where you are standing if you aren't careful....

No comments:

Post a Comment